Travelogue 101 and the quirky \British keyboard...

\well, the first two legs of our journey are complete, and \i find myself sitting in \london \Heathrow airport - in the British Airways lounge to be exact, and I think this may be the only time \i have a few moments to write for awhile.... when we get to Rome, we hit the ground running, so to speak -- as we have only given ourselves a day and half to see the necessary objects before moving on to a little slower pace and five nights in \florence.

I just have one question\:  Why is the \ & | key where the shift key is supposed to be on a |British keyboard?  Along with the necessary £ and € keys, in addition to the $ key -- (how very international of them!) it looks like my keyboard at home, and yet |I seem to be typing just one key removed for some words. For illustration purposes, |I'm going to forgo my usual need for typing perfection just this once, as I am sleep-deprived and it's just too much work, for one thing... for another thing - I think it's funny.

\Now, on to the journey so far:  three trips through security (fyi, in Canada and |Europe you do not have to remove your shoes but you do have to give up the unopened xl bottle of Evian you lifted from the lounge in YVR), and two flights -- waiting for our flight to Rome at the moment, which will leave at 18:30 (and yes, \I've changed my watch to a 24 hour time clock, let's just keep things simple on this trip okay|?)##
(apparently the return key also has a difference of location...)#

We will get a sampling of 4 different airlines by the time we get home, so |I think I may be a good candidate to provide a comparative analysis of |Business/\first class service on each by the end of the month, if anybody cares.  I must say, the sleeper seat in Club World business class on the 9 hour British |AIrways flight from Vancouver was a welcome treat.  I got a whole 4 hours of sleep -- which is a new record for me on an overnight flight.  |Of course, we had a light breakfast before landing and now we are expected to eat lunch in the lounge as it's 15:36 already!  Jet lag - it's a beautiful thing...#

Many thanks go out to L.O., who arranged these flights for us as a thank you for Jim's stellar construction work over the past few years on her behalf. Her arrangements have allowed us to not only fly in style, but relax in comfort in the British Airways Club World lounges in Vancouver and London....

Here in \London, it appears British Airways OWNS Heathrow -- or at least terminal 5.  this is their hub/headquarters and the lounge is cavernous.  The fam is on the other side of the lounge, and they are lounging, of course.  N is stretched out and asleep on a couch, C is undoubtedly checking his Facebook page, and J is reading the Daily Mail or some London newspaper.  I'm sitting at one of about 30 (!!) computer monitors in the taking care of  business section of the facility, with CNN and BBC News on flat screens overhead. Nice.

Think I'll go for a walk downstairs in a minute and check out Harrod's.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#firstworldproblems

Guitar in Hand

The REAL Bridge to Nowhere is not in Alaska!